Saturday, June 28, 2008

Prayer (A Starting Guide)

The Lord's Prayer
Matthew 6:9-13


In Matthew 6, Jesus' disciples ask Him, "Master, teach us how to pray." Jesus said, "This is how you should pray." Then He proceeded to give them a model for our prayers. This is how we are to do it. This is an example. Practice praying this way, using the Lord's prayer as a guide.

"Our Father in Heaven"
This addresses God as our father. It denotes our relationship to Him. We should address our prayers to the Father through Jesus. (John 16:23-24)
Example: Dear Father God.......

"Hallowed be your name"
Hallowed means honor. We want to give God his props! He deserves His rightful honor, praise and worship! He alone is God! We must always remember to enter His presence with thanks giving and praise! (Psalm 100:4)
Example: ........I honor and praise your holy name.....

"Your Kingdom come"
"Your will be done"
"On Earth as it is in Heaven"
We want to acknowledge God's Kingdom and His priorities before we mention our own. Before we start giving request we need to first submit to His will. Because His will should always come first, before our will.(Matthew 6:33) The definition of success is doing the will of the Father. (John 6:38)
Example: .......I pray your kingdom will be advanced on earth until you come. Please help me to know and follow your will for my life......

"Give us this day our daily bread."
Here it is! Here is your chance to tell God your request. Tell him what's happening in your life. Sure He knows what you need but tell Him anyway! (Matthew 7:8) Here is where we acknowledge God as Jehovah-jireh (The Lord provides) Here is where you ask him your heart's desires. (Mark 11:24) (Philippians 4:13)
Example: .......Father I need your help! Please provide for my monthly expenses. Please help me pay my bills......

"Forgive us our Debts as we forgive our debtors"
Here is where we confess our sins to Him asking for forgiveness so our relationship to the Father is not hindered. This is also where our vertical and horizontal relationships come together. God says our relationships to others matter to Him as well. (Matthew 6:14-15)

"Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one."
Here is where we build a "prayer covering" a hedge of protection. (Job 1:10) Jesus encouraged His disciples to pray about temptation. (Matthew 26:41)
Example: .......Father, forgive me of my sins. Help me avoid the temptation to sin today, protect me from Satan and his evil tricks.......

Later Manuscripts include "For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen"
Use this to close your prayer. Use this time to go back to God in praise and worship. You enter with praise you leave with praise. However, if you are a believer you never really leave His presence. Amen means "be it so according to your will." (1 John 5:14-15)
Example" .......Father you own everything. The Kingdom is yours. You deserve all the glory and praise forever and ever. Amen!

Now put it all together and we have a prayer made after the model prayer as an example:
Dear Father God, I honor and praise your holy name. I pray your kingdom will be advanced on earth until you come. Please help me to know and follow your will for my life. Father, I need your help. Please provide for my monthly expenses. Please help me pay my bills. Father, forgive my sins. Help me avoid temptation. Protect me from Satan and his evil tricks. Father you own everything. The Kingdom is yours. To you be all the Glory and Praise forever and ever. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

Practice putting the Lord's Prayer in your own words. Use it as a track to guide your prayers. Jesus said, "Always pray and never give up!"

Happy Praying!
Ray

1 comments:

TashaWag said...

Pastor Ray,
I want to introduce myself as someone that has never truly known the lord. I was not brought up in a very sprital home and I do regret that, but I can not change the past only what my future holds for my family and I. You see, my family and I have just recently started going to church and all that has happened is bad things. My husband has told me it is because of satan wanting to brake me down and go back to my old ways. I do not want that you see. I want to be right with the lord and do what is best by him. I just don't know how to get started. If you read my blog you will see the troubles that we are having and I do know in my heart that god has a greater plan for my family and I. I just want to make my presence known for our family, so you know that you now have a mission to help us along the way. Thank you for all that you do for all in the community, your church has made a big difference already for my family, please help us along the way. Always thankful, Tasha Wagoner and Family.